Mattel Gets Ethnic...

...And it's about time! Mattel announced today their introduction of an all new, permanent Black Barbie doll line. The new dolls have features that more closely resemble those of Black people. That means fuller lips, a wider nose, more distinct cheekbones and "curlier" hair. The So In Style line, or S.I.S, features Kara, Trichelle and Grace who are three best friends in tune with fashion, fun and music. You can click here to learn more about each doll.

Each doll features its own unique personality and style and reflects one of three various skin tones - dark chocolate, milk chocolate and caramel. The line also features a mentoring theme and each doll comes with her own little sister. The little dolls are called Kianna, Courtney and Janessa. The big and little dolls hope to inspire mentoring in the black community (and all communities for that matter). Tell me if you like the dolls or not. My only gripe is the hair. I wish one of them could have had a more "natural" look but hey, this is progress! I wish these dolls were around when I was growing up. I LOVED to dress them up!
The dolls from left to right: Kara, Trichelle and Grace.